Wednesday, November 21, 2007

San Francisco is one of my most favorite places in the world. I spent a week there when I was at Azusa Pacific University serving in the city, we walked all over the city, to all the different districts, and it was the absolute best way to see San Francisco. We spent our time in homeless shelters and food banks, painting over graffiti and going on blanket runs. The city was amazing and I would love to be able to go back and do the same thing.
Now, I am finding out that I love SF for another reason...they are banning plastic bags from grocery stores. You can read all about it here, and here. There are approximately 180 million plastic bags distributed to San Francisco shoppers each year! These bags can be difficult to recycle and often wind up in the environment. I am encouraged to follow SF's ban and would love to see other communities do the same. In the mean time, here is a tutorial to make your own fabric bags using a plastic bag as a pattern...these are pretty simple and way cute.
Yes, I know I am turning more and more into a tree hugger...I love it.

3 comments:

Courtney O. said...

I really want to use cloth bags for grocery shopping but my problem is that we are really really really saving money and I simply can't put out the cash for enough cloth bags to cover my groceries. And I really don't have a sewing bone in my body. Maybe i'll buy one bag a month and eventually i'll have some and we won't feel the impact of spending too badly. I really hate that a lot of the things that are good for you (organic foods etc) and for the environment aren't possible for large sections of the population (lower middle class or lower class)

anita said...

:)
I have several cloth bags, i just always forget to take them into the store with me. I need to come up with some kind of a system to remind me...
funny how you're becoming such a tree hugger, the same goes for me! lol i dream of living off the grid on lots of acreage and growing most of my own food...not sure it'll ever happen, but i can keep dreaming, right? There's a saying, "bloom where you're planted"...i'm trying to adapt it to this situation...i'll just plant a garden in my yard!

{B} said...

Courtney,
Come over to my house and well make the bags together...I have tons of material we can use...