Monday, January 21, 2008

Roach-Coach Tacos

Being in a job where he is constantly on the move, Andy has had the opportunity, I dare say pleasure, to sample the fare off the Taco Trucks of Denver...he came home one night asking to make Roach-Coach Tacos for us...I was a little put off by the name, but decided to give them a try. These are now a huge favorite at our house. Try them, you'll like them.
Here's what you need:
Corn Tortillas
Chicken breasts - one breast per adult
tomatoes I usually do 3 if there are 4-6 people eating
1 jalapeno
1 medium yellow onion
bunch of cilantro
3-4 avocados
2-3 limes - for squeezing over the tacos
The trick to these Roach-Coach tacos is to make everything fresh.
Salsa
Chop up tomatoes and onions - I usually do three tomatoes and one yellow onion. Be sure to seed the tomatoes to get rid of all the juicy parts. Seed one jalapeno and chop up really small. Chop the cilantro - you won't need all the cilantro...I usually put the cilantro in last so I can mix it as I add it to make sure I didn't add too much. Mix the salsa with the juice of one half of a lime. Add a bit of salt to taste.
Guacamole
Remove the avocado meat from the peels. Mash up in a bowl. I also mix in lime to the mashed avocados, oh, and some garlic. I usually add a few tablespoons canned salsa.
Chicken
Season the chicken breasts with whatever you have on hand...chile powder, cumin, coriander, some lemon pepper...once I used some tequila and it was so good. I grill the breasts whole until they are just pink in the middle and then I put them on the cutting board and cube 'em. Put them back in the skillet until they are cooked through.
Corn Tortillas
In a hot skillet, place a corn tortilla in the middle and let it warm until it is soft (5-10 seconds), flip it over for just a few more seconds and place between sheets of foil to keep warm. Most people usually eat 3 (sometimes more) of these tacos.
How it works:
We do these tacos buffet style.
Just put everything out on a table and let everyone fit their taco how they like it. Be sure to slice up some limes to squeeze over the tacos...the limes make it so good. We usually take the tortilla, spread some guac over it, add our chicken and salsa and then squeeze the lime over the top. These are also great with black beans, or shrimp instead of chicken.

1 comment:

The Ton Face said...

First of all, those tacos sound delicious. Second of all, it was great seeing y'all on Saturday. Third of all, I am trying to get Andy's email, to send him a picture that I told him he would enjoy, could I get it?