Monday, February 16, 2009

A few nights ago Andy told me that a few guys from town were talking about getting a few calves for free and that he was thinking about getting one too. He said that we would have to bottle feed the calf for a month or so. My first thought was..."Wow! That would be so cool to have a calf that we could watch grow and develop. I would love to take the girls out to see the cow! What a neat experience." I continued to think about getting this cute little calf for a few days...having visions of bottle feeding this sweet, defenseless animal, before it really hit me why they would be getting these calves...um, to eventually eat them...being a vegetarian, this was not my first thought. I'm not a vegetarian because I feel that it is wrong to eat animals...I'm a vegetarian for health reasons, but I don't think I would be able to even cook the meat from the animal that I bottle fed when it was a baby. I understand that people who have lived on a farm have a much healthier view of the animals turning into meat idea, but I just don't know if I could get there. So, will we get a calf...I have no idea. If we do, it will be something I have to really try to work through.

4 comments:

Adopting1Soon said...

Could you get the calf and NOT eat it later? Keep it as a pet and lawn mover or sorts?

{B} said...

That would be nice...much better than eating it!

Mommato4miracles said...

Thanks for inviting to the family blog! I have so enjoyed waiting and praying for the arrival of beautiful Brecken. She is beautiful as is Blake. Thanks for sharing your story

{B} said...

That you so much for the sweet comments!