Monday, September 01, 2008

Every May, there is a very large garage sale at the front of our little town. Last year, I found this amazing hand-sewn, vintage fabric quilt...something I should have bought on the spot, but couldn't convince myself that $10 was a good price (I have no idea what I was thinking) I didn't end up getting the quilt, but I honestly thought about it the entire year and couldn't believe I gave it up.
When the garage sale happened this year, my mom called to let me know my quilt was still there and it was now $5 and she put it on hold for me (thanks mom!). This quilt is amazing. I could look at each of the fabrics for hours and hours...I love it. The original owner and creator did such a good job that I am afraid I am not going to do them justice. They started to do the actual quilting part on one corner of this very, very large quilt...I have a long, long way to go, but hope to have it done by Christmas.
I love things like this. I love finding vintage table cloths and materials, vintage pyrex, anything vintage/retro. A few weeks ago, we went to the Denver Modernism Show I really didn't know what to expect, but it was right up my alley. They had lots of artists showing their work and many booths that held vintage/retro treasures. There was this orange rotary phone that I fell in love with, but was a bit out of my price range at $80. They had booths and booths of the old pyrex containers. It was so much fun to look at all the designs and learn something about the vintage pyrex bowls I own. I love how these old things hold so much beauty and simplicity. I am just drawn to them. I would much rather have my vintage pyrex bowl on my kitchen table than something that hardly has any history. I really think that is what gets me the most, the history these objects have. I love to think about all the fabrics for this quilt...is this quilt made up of scraps from dresses that were too short to wear any longer? It's like our old house, part of our house was built in 1911...I like living in a home that has been standing here before I was born...like my quilt, and my old pyrex bowls, it has many stories to share.

2 comments:

anita said...

Who knew that some of the dishes we got as wedding gifts, and are still using, are now considered "vintage"? I'm so in vogue and didn't even know it! Wish I still had some of the stuff I've gotten rid of over the years!

~C said...

love it! and i totally understand. :)